Heart or Ego? Which will you choose?
‘Let your heart be as big as it can possibly be.’
― Swami Chetanananda
Solar Eclipses occur when the Earth, Moon and Sun are lined up in the heavens, so that from our perspective on Earth, the Moon blocks out the light of the Sun. Countries that are in the direct line of the Eclipse are more likely to resonate with the Eclipse themes. Similarly – if your Sun, Moon or Angles are within 3’or 4’ of the Eclipse degree, which in this case is 28’ Leo 52.
This is the last Eclipse of 2017 and can only be seen as a Total Eclipse across the middle of the USA. Although the effect of Eclipses is stronger in the geographic area where it is exact, all of us will feel these powerful collective energies to some degree!
Solar Eclipses symbolically represent the brief moment of darkness that comes just before an important aspect of ourselves comes to light. In that instant, our unconscious lunar emotions surface, obscuring our conscious solar light, thereby leaving us in darkness. All we can do is trust that something as yet unknown is emerging into light and consciousness, ready to be birthed in the weeks and months ahead. The placement of the Eclipse in our Birth Chart by Sign, House and Aspect offers us some helpful information as to what this is[i]. Similarly in the Composite Chart for Relationships – for more information on this feel free to peruse www.relationshipsandastrology.com
Over the centuries the dimming of the light of the Sun has been viewed with some trepidation in many parts of the world. On a primal level, our survival feels understandably threatened when the light of the Sun is obscured. Hence, although Solar Eclipses always occur at the time of a New Moon – which is all about birth, the Eclipse demands that we experience total darkness, before the birth can take place.
Key Planetary Aspects
The key aspect to this Eclipse is the exact trine to Uranus in Aries. There is also an almost exact quincunx to Chiron in Pisces (1’orb) and the North Node in Leo is within 5’ of the Eclipse. Plus of course, Mercury has recently gone Retrograde in Virgo!
Key Themes for this Eclipse:
- An invitation to open our hearts wide.
- A desire to take spontaneous genuine action in a new direction – check where the Eclipse lands in your chart to see which area of life this is more likely to happen for you!
- Feistiness, impatience and frustration!
- Absolute honesty and directness,
- Healing old wounds to do with our individuality (this may involve releasing some old pain!)
- Reconnecting to heartfelt joy and fun,
- Confusion with detail – careful with those texts!
- Feeling ungrounded and struggling dealing with mundane daily tasks! (The only earth in the sky is Pluto in Capricorn) Our bodies may play up a bit in an effort to draw our attention so that we can remain centered in the physical realm,
- Compassion may feel easier than empathy right now!
- Our nervous system may feel in overdrive so our sleep patterns may be disturbed.
Some things to keep in mind!
Eclipses repeat themselves approx. every 19 years and there were Solar Eclipses at this same degree in 1945, 1963 and 1999. It may be helpful to revisit these times in your life, (or to explore what was going on in your family at these times, if you were not born yet), to see if any significant themes come to light, which may resurface to be worked through in a new way with this Eclipse.
According to Dr. Bernadette Brady this Eclipse belongs to Saros Series 1 North. This is her description of the core theme:
“Unexpected events involving friends or groups place a great deal of pressure on personal relationships. These relationship issues may loom large as the eclipse affects the chart. The individual would be wise not to make any hasty decisions since information is distorted and possibly false. The eclipse also has an essence of tiredness attached to it” – Dr. Bernadette Brady ‘The Eagle and the Lark’
The Sabian symbol for this Eclipse is: ‘A Mermaid emerges from the ocean waves ready for rebirth in human form’. – Lynda Hill
This could be described as an emergence of something within ourselves from the deep oceanic emotional realms, which we are ready to manifest on the planet. It’s well worth keeping a note of your dreams at this time!
Some tools that may help with the Eclipse energies:
- Spending time on solid ground in nature with trees, plants and flowers.
- Having fun with friends and loved ones.
- Listening to your heart and taking a risk if it’s heart centered
- Being courageous for yourself and others.
- Trying to focus on excitement rather than fear!
- Envisioning the most expansive future for yourself and your loved ones
- Trusting that the light will come out again even brighter, in whatever part of your chart the Eclipse is landing in.
- Self comforting! Anxiety levels may feel higher than usual, particularly if you have a Moon/Uranus aspect in your chart. With Moon/Pluto there may be more fear and with Moon/Neptune, sadness and/or addictions may come to the forefront. Fear may also be strong if you have a natal Saturn/Pluto aspect.
Self soothing is very helpful right now in the manner of your Moon Element and sign. For Fire Moons focusing on the excitement of the Eclipse can be helpful, as well as doing exercise. Moon in Earth may find it comforting to be somewhere beautiful in nature, Moon in Air is likely to enjoy reading blogs on the Eclipse and spending some time with friends, whilst Moon in Water is more likely to be comforted by time near a body of water.
If your Sun, Moon and/or angles are at the end of Leo, Aquarius, Taurus, Aries, Pisces and/or Scorpio or at the start of Virgo, Pisces, Gemini and/or Sagittarius, you are more likely to resonate with the above themes.
Relationships and the Solar Eclipse:
Feel free to have a look at our recording on The Solar Eclipse and Relationships! What happens when the light goes out!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QgqWQcXImg
Legal Copyright of Margaret Gray August 2017
Re Astrology Readings:
I offer Astrology readings online all over the world and in person in Ireland, to individuals, couples and children, as well as teaching astrology courses and workshops. Feel free to have a look at my website www.astrologypsychological.com and www.relationshipsandastrology.com
[i] If you are familiar with Astrology you can check this out in your chart. If you are new to astrology you may consider having a Birth Chart reading with an astrologer who can tell you where your planets are placed.