What we call the beginning is often the end. And to make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from. – T. S. Eliot
The Core Theme of this Lunar Eclipse: Moving into the future with Balance, Fairness and Consideration
This Lunar Eclipse marks the final ending of the planetary ‘marathon’ which started in June 2012 for all of us both individually and globally. Although the last exact Uranus Pluto square was on March 17th 2015, the fact that this Eclipse lands within 1’ of that point, marks the crossing of the finishing line for us all.
As with any Marathon, crossing the finishing line marks the end of a phase and the start of a new one. The new phase carries with it echoes of the process we went through during the Marathon. This may include sore muscles, tendons, dehydration, tiredness etc. Similarly, the next few years are going to entail recuperation, as well as an integration of the changes we made over the past 3 years. But right now our focus is on the Lunar Eclipse itself.
What is a Lunar Eclipse:
A Lunar Eclipse can only occur during a Full Moon. During a Full Moon, the Solar light of consciousness illuminates emotions that surface from deep within our unconscious. However, during a Lunar Eclipse, Earth stands in the way of this illumination. Hence, we are momentarily left immersed in total darkness, in our newly surfaced emotions. Although this is only temporary, it can help to have some tools at hand to manage and contain the emotions that come to the surface, until the Moon moves out of the shadow of the Earth. In doing so, the Sun can shine once more onto our emotions enabling them to be consciously integrated.
Some interesting things about this Lunar Eclipse:
- This is the 3rd of 5 Lunar Eclipses on the Libra/Aries axis. The first two were in Oct 18 2013 and Oct 8 2014 The last two will be in Sept 28 2015 and March 23rd The underlying core theme of Eclipses on this Axis is the integration and balance of ‘self’ and ‘other’. How can we be fair and just with others whilst respecting who we are? As they are Cardinal signs, the emphasis is on leadership and action. However, it is interesting to note that within this Aries/Libra series, this Lunar Eclipse and the one in March 2016 are the only two that are in Libra. The others are all in Aries with the opposing Sun in Libra. This emphasizes the theme of balance and fairness with others versus self-focus. This is further enhanced by the conjunction with the North Node at 10’ Libra, as well as the sextile from Jupiter in Leo. Hence we are invited to be the peaceful civilized mediator rather than the uncouth warrior.
- This eclipse will be visible over western North America, the Pacific, East Asia, Australia and New Zealand. Therefore, although we will all feel it, if you live in these zones you are likely to be more sensitive to the Eclipse energies. Collective emotions are also more likely to come more visibly to the surface in these countries, as well as affecting weather patterns and tidal conditions.
- For those of you who are interested in Saros Series, this Lunar Eclipse belongs to Saros series 132. It is the first Total Eclipse in the series. The very first Lunar Eclipse was on May 12th 1492 at 0’ Sagittarius 20. The more recent ones were as follows: Feb 20 1943, Mar 02 1961, Mar 13 1979, Mar 24 1997. The next one after April 4th will be on Apr 2033. If you were born on or close to the above dates you are likely to resonate more powerfully to the current eclipse. It can also be helpful to consider what the core themes were in your life during any of the above dates, as this Eclipse will carry some echoes of those themes4. One of the key things about this eclipse which makes it so important, as I mentioned at the start of this article, is that it is within a degree of the last exact Uranus/Pluto square on March 17th which was at 15’ 18 Aries and Capricorn. It is also within a degree of the Cardinal Cross on April 21st/22nd 2014. This was formed by Jupiter in Cancer and Mars in Libra joining the 5th exact Uranus/Pluto square at 13’ 34 Aries and Capricorn. Hence it is re-stimulating and helping us release and integrate emotional residue from these two periods in time. Whatever emotions were repressed suppressed or denied at this time may resurface now so that we can release them go as we move into this new post Uranus/Pluto square chapter of our life. The Total Lunar Eclipse in more detail: Over the past few months in particular the planetary energies have been very intense, with a predominance of Aries fire and Piscean water. The only planet in Earth was Pluto in Capricorn, whose function continues to be to dismantle the useless structures in our life, rather than to help ground us. With Venus and Mars now in Taurus, grounding in our body and on planet earth is likely to feel easier although we may initially notice some physical symptoms including tiredness. Similarly to running a marathon, crossing the finish line brings the awareness and realization of physical needs that may have been put on hold in order to complete the course. Taking care of these needs is very important right now and includes rest and relaxation, bodily attention such as massages, spa days, healthy eating, hugs, exercise and whatever else can help our body recuperate. The Sabian Symbol for 14’ Libra is: ‘In the Heat of the Noon Hour a Man Takes a Siesta’ We have run the Marathon and now it is time to rest and recuperate as well as congratulating ourselves for having made it, as we prepare for the next stage of our evolutionary journey. With the opposing Sun conjunct Uranus, Mercury and the North Node in Aries we are also invited to be innovative in our thoughts and expression, releasing old ways of thinking that no longer serve us individually and collectively. The next chapter will involve a shift in energies, particularly with Saturn squaring Neptune.
Some questions we might consider at this time:
- What parts of my psyche did I reconstruct over the past three years?
- What emotions if any, did I suppress/repress/disassociate from during this time?
- How have I expanded during this time?
- What parts of my life are ready to come into greater balance?
- Is my life based on consideration for others as well as for myself?
- What provides healthy comfort for me at this time?
- What is the core focus on a heart and soul level of this new chapter of my life?
Some Tools to work with during this Full Moon time and throughout the rest of the month:
- Lots of rest and relaxation with the help of Venus and Mars in Taurus as we recuperate on all levels from the past 3 years.
- Time in nature to rejuvenate and rebalance.
- Allowing emotions to surface and dissipate. Music, dancing, crying, journaling, talking etc can all help in the process and also act as containers.
- Meditation and body work to quieten the mind, which could still be quite fast with the stellium (including Mercury) in Aries.
- Paying attention to diet and avoiding excesses. Noticing if we are using food/alcohol/substances in an attempt to suppress emotions.
- Time with loved ones – physical comfort can feel particularly nurturing at this time with Venus in Earthy Taurus.
On a Global Level:
Since March 24th much of the world has been reeling from the shock of the German Air Crash into the Alps. Already struggling with the disappearance in March 2014 of the Malasya Airlines flight 370, followed in July 2014 by the Malaysia Airlines flight 17 that was shot down over the Ukraine and in December with the the Indonesia AirAsia flight that crashed into the ocean, this latest event has truly challenged us all. Although airline crashes have occurred on a regular basis and although we may never know the actual truth of what happened that day, this latest incident has brought to the fore some core issues which as a society we have tried our best to sideline. The key one is that individual pain is a collective issue as it affects us all.
In many ways it represents the integration of the Aries/Libra axis where the Nodes have been since Feb 2014 and which are conjunct the Lunar Eclipse. On a basic level Aries as the first sign of the zodiac represents birth and individuation and Mars his ruler is the signifier of our life force and will to live. Libra on the other hand represents balance and individual adaptation in our relationships with others. The integration of these two cardinal signs reminds us that both signs are deeply inter-connected in our learning in this existence. The journey of individuation is a prerequisite for us to be in relationships with others, yet without relationships we cannot individuate. Our will to live does not just affect us. It also deeply affects everyone else. Hence we have crossed over into a new world where we are remembering that we are all deeply and eternally connected with each other and where we all face the consequences of the choices we each make individually. Hence if we heal ourselves, we heal others and if we help others to heal, we heal ourselves.
Who is most likely to resonate with these energies?
If your natal Sun, Moon or angles are between 12’ and 16’ Libra, Aries, Capricorn or Cancer you are more likely to resonate with the Lunar Eclipse energies. However, as with all eclipses, there are few of us who will not resonate with these powerful re-balancing energies. I leave you with this brief quote: The best way out is always through. ― Robert Frost
Legal Copyright of Margaret Gray March 2015. Feel free to share but to comply with copyright laws, please ensure that the work is attributed to the author. Many thanks.